Monday, October 9, 2017

FAQ's

Received 7/31/2017


This week I want to answer some random questions that I have gotten on my mission.  So here it goes.

Q: Do you have ANYONE to teach?
A: Absolutely. I serve in probably one of the most unique places in the world.  If you know anything about German history, you can imagine why people would ask this question to me, a missionary serving in a former communist country. 
Yes, it's true that only very rarely in East Germany will someone stop on the street or open their door to hear a message about Jesus Christ.  BUT there is a certain tact and skill that someone can develop to be able to teach the people here.  If you want facts, we are teaching 9 people right now, 8 were invited by members to activites and 1 (a non-german) was found on the street.

Q: Why are you learning Chinese? How good is your chinese?
A: Well... my chinese is honestly very bad.  As for why I am learning it.. I have a good answer for you.  The short version is simply to give people the opportunity to hear the gospel in their own language, in a country with full religious freedom.  If you want more of an answer to why things like that are happening, open your scriptures and read some prophecies about our day.  

Q: What is the refugee situation in Germany?
you wouldn't believe the things that these people have went through.  Many many refugees have ended up in Germany and need lots of help. 

Q: Favorite moment of your mission?
A: Last sunday, just seeing how many people jam into our tiny branch building.  Just seeing how excited the members are to invite their friends to church.  And probably when this boy in our branch told us that he wants to serve a mission.

Q: Are you happy serving?
A: Yes

Q: Do Germans match their stereotypes?
A: Yes, beautifully.  I have learned so much from the culture here, it's amazing. They just look at the world so differently, and have taught me to do the same.

Q: Do you want to come home?
A: I am home.

Love you,
Elder Openshaw

1. Sister Fingerle
2. Some friends and friends of friends 


No comments:

Post a Comment