Monday, October 9, 2017

Dresden Adventures

Received 9/25/2017

Well this week was just as action packed as normal! But with lots and
lots of traveling. Some good things happened this week, here's a quick
list of them. (I'm gonna make a highlight/lowlight list so you can
have a moment in the life of elder Openshaw)


Sorry if this is really hard to read by the way... maybe I'll try to
connect some of the high and lowlights.

Highlights
~traveled to Dresden! I love trains!
-saw all my friends from my exchange in Meissen! (Picture included)
-made a birthday video for president Fingerle
+spent a day in Nordhausen! (Found a cool book, der Kleine Prinz)
=wore an awesome jacket in Dresden
-received some awesome birthday packages!! THANK YOU!!
€ I have to teach you a german word in order for this highlight to
make sense. It's called "Fernweh," and it is the opposite of
homesickness... away sickness. Well I had that. But I conquered it
through this week's extensive travels.
- ate some good food
-actually started writing in my journal every day again! Cool right?!



Lowlights
~woke up unnecessarily early because I thought elder Larson said we
had to go at 7:15 when it was indeed 7:50.
-lower lights (don't especially love their music)
+spent a day in Nordhausen. (Found no people that wanted to hear from us)
=the said Dresden jacket belonged to another elder, and I had to return it.
€ spent almost the entire week outside of Jena (made me very homesick
for my little german home)

Well if I wanted to be very german I could end this email on a
negative note. But instead I'll give you all a german culture tip!

East German culture tip of the day : it is good to complain about
things, it helps people to improve things and everything to be more
"in order." East Germans consider it a favor to give people criticism
because it helps people to improve. So the tip is to keep that in mind
when you get criticized by an East German. They consider it a favor to
you and criticize you as your friend.

I actually really like that part of the german culture, despite the
fact that I didn't understand it at all at first. The society is
really all about mutual improvement, and I have learned a ton from
that mindset.

Well, I'll share a scripture that my family all memorized together
(thanks mom). "O be wise, what can I say more?"

Love you all,
Elder Openshaw

1. If you know why this picture is special, good. If not, sorry, don't
really want to explain it.
2. Me and elder Larsen wearing very large coats.

No comments:

Post a Comment