Monday, January 16, 2017

Where I'm supposed to be

emailed on 1/02/2017


I'm just gonna jump straight into my story for the week!

Sunday afternoon was really long, as normal. And we ended up sitting
in the clerks office in the chapel as we got talked at about the
history of all things Germany, Braunschweig, and family. I learned a
lot, but I felt bad for Elder Lorenzen because he was just trying not
to fall asleep the whole time. And he kept barraging us with random
questions about our ancestors and about how we navigate the city.
After that we went back to our apartment and finished doing a bunch of
paper work that we had to finish by the end of the day. Then we looked
at the clock and saw that we had an hour and a half of time before we
could wind down and get ready for bed. Elder Lorenzen asked me what I
wanted to do, and I could tell he wanted to go door to door in our
neighborhood. So we got dressed up warm and headed out... it was a
very typical German dooring experience, and after being rejected quite
a few times we found ourselves in a very wealthy neighborhood. The
houses were honestly incredible, and it was kind of a sight seeing
venture, with nice rejection detours. But we saw this one house and
Elder Lorenzen said that he had a good feeling about it. We rang the
doorbell and a woman opened the door, Elder Lorenzen started speaking
the best German I have heard him speak. He told her that we were there
to talk about the eternal family, and that we would love to share a
message with her... Then she asked a question and I had to jump in to
answer it.  We ended up going inside and talking with two people in
their 40's and their teenage son. It was the first time on my mission
that I have taught a family, and honestly the most distinct spirit I
have ever felt in my life.

As we stood in the kitchen talking to this family, I just knew that
everything happens for a reason. It was one of the only times in my
life that I knew that I was supposed to be exactly where I was.
Somehow the stars aligned, I did what was right, and I just felt
overwhelming peace and joy. I know I sound like a tacky missionary
right now, and maybe I'm starting to become one, but that was just a
feeling that I want all the time. I don't know what will come of our
visit with that family, but I do know that even if the experience was
just for me, it was enough. It was enough to justify coming to
Germany, struggling to learn German, spending all day with a name tag
on. Wow, it was just wonderful.

I want to thank you all for your support, and the awesome emails and letters!

Love,
Elder Openshaw

No comments:

Post a Comment