Monday, January 16, 2017

Where am I?

Germany is a weird place, so I am just going to dedicate this weekly
email trying to explain some strange things about this strange place.
(If you can't tell, not much happened this week... I practiced lots of
finding introductions)

1. The recorder is no joke here... a recorder, the little flutey thing
that everybody in the motherland learns to play in the 4th grade,
apparently is regarded as a real instrument here hahaha. Probably the
hardest thing I have had to do on my mission is try to stifle my
laughter when someone plays the recorder for a musical number in
Sacrament meeting. (To all you recorder players, I sincerely
apologize, and I will learn to better appreciate your instrument)

2. Squirrels here are super red. .

3. Ice is unhealthy, and will give you a cold. But you can eat
ice-cream in any sort of weather.

4. Everybody here wears scarves! It doesn't matter who you are, if
it's winter in Germany you are supposed to wear a scarf. (So don't
call me feminine for any of my scarf pictures)

5. Everything is locked, and every old German carries at least 25
keys. (There was this guy who seriously had a key for his Freezer from
1960 that we had to move from the basement)

6. You better be hungry when you go to an eating appointment. Germans
can eat a ton in one sitting! And they want the missionaries to match.

7. There's no place I'd rather be in the world. I love these people,
and their weird ways. I love the gospel, and the incredible members of
the church here. In the east some of the people had to sacrifice
everything to be members of the church. I have grown to appreciate the
history of this land, and of the church.

I love you all, thanks for all the emails!

Love,
Elder Openshaw

No comments:

Post a Comment