Monday, October 10, 2016

Feeling like a missionary

Wow! What a week!  I finally started feeling like a missionary this week (I think that means that you are tired all the time but not allowed to sleep).  But I have some cool stories from this week!

In my area we have a car, and I am the designated driver.  We surprisingly did a lot of driving to appointments, and etc.  Seriously Germany is the most beautiful place on the planet! We would drive through these ancient villages and then out into the countryside where you can just see ancient castles out in the distance.  AND EVERYTHING IS SO GREEN!!  But that's no surprise because it has literally rained ever since I've gotten here.

I have a ward here, so lots of people on Sundays!  But also tons of hilarious drama because they used to be three separate branches.  I guess I accidentally opened a can of worms in ward counsel (bringing up some inactive members) because they all started yelling...  but it's just typical German discussion I was told... (?)

We made a street display in this city called Apolda.  It wasn't super successful because there weren't a ton of people on the street.  So Elder Mayer, a Zone Leader, and I went to go find people on the street.  We didn't have a ton of luck and we were headed back to the street display when we say this drunk man talking with the sisters... and we knew they needed to be rescued. 

This man was the most picture-perfect drunk man I had ever seen.  A huge, burly, hairy guy, wearing liederhosen and a tank top under a sweatshirt.  We saw him trying to kiss the sisters so we ran up to talk to him and they ran away.  His beard was wet and was covered in throwup and drool.  He grabbed my hand and kept getting closer and closer to me, and I had to keep stepping back so that he didn't drool on me.  But he kept yelling louder and louder because I couldn't understand him.  Then Elder Mayer said that we had to go, and we ran over to the fountain to wash ourselves off, because we were covered in hobo throwup and drool.  It reminded me of a story my mom would tell from when the drunkards would try and kiss her in Ukraine. 

My spiritual thought for this week comes from another man that we found during our street display.  Elder Mayer and I came up to him and started chatting, and then we ended up teaching him the first lesson.  He has a wife and a 6 year old daughter and hopefully they end up going somewhere.  I was really stricken by the fact that he claimed to deny God but then at the end of the conversation he was telling us how much that God loves him.  \

Love you all so much!

-Elder Openshaw

No comments:

Post a Comment