Monday, November 13, 2017

End of chapter.





Well everyone, the great and dreadful day has come. My time in Jena is
coming to an end, and Wednesday I will be on a train headed east. I am
headed to Freiberg, which is where the temple is here in Germany. I am
so sad to leave my home, here in Jena, but Freiberg will be a Great
experience.

This week was exciting, and I had a good chance to say goodbye to many
of the close friends that I've made here. The time here has changed
me, and I can honestly say that I'm leaving Jena a completely
different person than I was when I came here. I don't want to get too
sentimental this week, so I'm not going to write much. Just know that
I love this place, and I love these people.

Jena, you were the greatest chapter of my life. Here are some of my
strangest, best, clearest, shortest memories from the cookie tin city.
(This is a list of things for you to ask me about after my mission)

1. Running into people we knew, again and again. "Mann sieht sich zwei
mal in Jena"
2. Watching the Jehovas witnesses trying to knock doors in a building
3. Riding my favorite industrial elevator to get out onto the street
4. Cooking shrimp in the apartment with elder Hsu, complete with state
of emergency trash takeout the next day. (Warning: when you throw raw
shrimp heads away, never ever let them stay in the trash overnight.
They will destroy your sense of smell)
5. Playing foosball with rob, elder Larsen, and elder Hsu.
6. Learning what it means to have to eat more than you can. Thanks
Karsan, you are an amazing cook, habibi.
7. Spending time in hack space with Christian
8. Finally getting noticed as a church. Putting posters through the
town and then repairing vandalism, repeatedly
9. Running in a relay with elder Hsu and Josi
10. Having a strange relationship with the evangelical church here
11. "Bishop" Tobi
12. Eating Hot Pot at the church with all of our Chinese friends.
13. Working for Bernd
14. Playing chess on the street
15. Frank, the party animal, chess master, commander of women, and
overall best guy in the whole Stadtteil Lobeda.
16. Garden parties with family Krause
17. McDonald's with Nadine
18. The Bjorkman's lunch, every Sunday.
19. Cooking in the church with elder Hsu
20. Making videos in the apartment with the Erfurt elders, elder to,
and elder Larsen.

I'm gonna miss this place.

Love you all,
Elder Openshaw


P.S, read D&C 6. It's worth it

No comments:

Post a Comment