Thursday, July 5, 2018

Probably a terrible email







I know I'll be happy with myself if I write this email, so hello everyone!

These past two weeks have been a crazy mix of unconventional mission
work, cool new people, and the pretty sites of Rostock. I finally
accomplished something that I've wanted to my whole mission: I ate the
fufu! Fufu is an African food that you eat with your hands, probably
the messiest food ever... just imagine eating soup and mashed potatoes
with your hands.

Other cool things that we did:

-went to a cool historical town, Stralsund and saw all the sites there
-made mini facade houses for the world record attempt
-met with our yazidi friend, raad.
-visited a nice girl who was on a school exchange with a Mormon family
in Kentucky. (You guys should all consider having exchange students if
you have the means for it!)
-played soccer and were destroyed by some barefoot Arab friends.
-remodeled our apartment and got to build some IKEA furniture
-celebrated the german victory over Sweden
-hid in shame when Germany lost against Korea
-made music with a nice family in the branch
-rode many trains with drink people and festival goers
-explored Rostock and saw some bells ring in the top of a big church here.

There are so many good stories that I could tell from this week but
you'll just have to ask me about them when I get back!

I guess something funny and sorta spiritual from the week was from
last Sunday. I was sitting ready for the meeting to start and from the
stand a member of the branch presidency waved to me and made a motion
with his hand which I interpreted to mean that I should lead the
music... not really something I'm incredibly talented at. But I didn't
fear because Joe Armstrong taught all the young men how to do it
right, once upon a time.
So I stood proudly and started leading. It was only then that I
noticed that they had chosen the most challenging songs ever haha. The
entire branch was cracking up as I struggled to wave my hand right.
The worst thing is that they actually look at you here in Germany
haha.
And so after the meeting I was surrounded by all the members getting
made fun of and I was super embarrassed because I did a legitimately
terrible job. And then the member of the branch presidency walked up
and I turned my embarrassment to him and was kinda upset that he asked
me to lead the music. To which he said, "I was trying to ask you to
pass the sacrament." And I literally imploded right there on the spot.
Haha I don't think I've been that embarrassed in a long time.
Moral of the story: be brave, and pay better attention when Joe
Armstrong teaches you something.

Love you all,
Here are some cool pictures!
Elder Opendorf

(Pops I took a bunch of pictures of the city just for you)

No comments:

Post a Comment